User-specific advertising has become the most commonplace in display marketing. More than 62% of the advertisers using addressable TV by believing that it is an essential part of media buying. An advertiser who is planning to increase their ad investment to address the target audience to get success. Over 40% of marketing professionals and addressable TV agency in the US says they are generating significant investment in this type of ads.
As traditional ads support linear TV morphs into the digital ad buying ecosystem. Addressable TV provides advertisers to purchase audiences based on programming using standard methods. Addressable TV serves different advertising content based on specific audience targeting and OTT, VOD methods. When it comes to addressable VOD, here, ads are inserted into the cable programs within the set-top boxes and VOD content.
Let‘s explore how you can get to this stage.
Table of Contents
- What is Addressable TV, and how does it work
- You’ve probably heard of addressable TV. But do you know how it works?
- If you want to grow your business, you need to know about Addressable TV
- What is Addressable TV?
- If you haven’t heard about addressable TV, here’s what it is
- Do you know how TV advertising works?
- If you want to grow your business, you need to know about addressable TV
- Addressable TV, and how does it work?
- Do you know what Addressable TV is?
- Have you heard of Addressable TV?
- 2/3 of households are only reachable through addressable TV
- Addressable TV Advertising: An Opportunity For Innovation
- Addressable TV sets are a path for the future
- TV advertising is rapidly changing
- Addressable TV advertising is coming sooner than you think
- Advertisers are ready for addressable TV advertising
- Can Addressable Advertising Fix TV’s Ad Breaks?
- Can “addressability” fix TV’s ad breaks?
- TV’s commercial breaks are broken
- TV is dying because it can’t hook young adults
- How Your Brand can benefit from Addressable TV Advertising?
- Wondering how your brand can benefit from Addressable TV Advertising?
- How can your brand benefit from addressable TV advertising?
- Your businesses can benefit from Addressable TV Advertising
- What is addressable TV advertising?
- Why Addressable TV it will work for you?
- The Secrets of Successful Addressable TV Advertising
- These are the secrets of successful addressable TV advertisers
- TV ads are expensive and hard to measure
- The Secrets of Successful Addressable TV Advertising
- Your addressable TV ads are going to suck
- How to leverage TV data to maximize the Addressable TV Advertising opportunity?
- TV is dying; here’s how to leverage the Addressable TV Advertising opportunity
- The Addressable TV is a $2B addressable market
- The Pross & Cons of Addressable TV Advertising
- The Pross of Addressable TV Advertising
- The Cons of Addressable TV Advertising
- Addressable TV Advertising Trends
What is Addressable TV, and how does it work
In early data shows that addressable TV advertising is highly effective. US Households are receiving addressable TV advertising, and they tuned their away TV from 38% less often in receiving non-addressable TV advertising.
Addressable TV Ads are the best way to advertising the original content reveals by the households. It offers internet-connected devices enabled by the programmatic algorithm. Different users can see different ads as they were tailored specifically to their needs. It works under Machine learning algorithms and data-powered AI, also known as programmatic on TV.
You’ve probably heard of addressable TV. But do you know how it works?
- It allows marketers to market down to specific people
- You can target your audience based on more than just their age and gender
- You can even reach people by household income level and postcode
- Advertisers get access to excellent analytics telling them who they are reaching daily
If you want to grow your business, you need to know about Addressable TV
- It starts with a database
- This database is the data that tells you where your target audience is watching TV
- The next step? Find out which channels they often watch on TV and pounce when they are watching that channel at the right time. (e.g., during an ad break)
- You can also promote your service/product based on specific programming
What is Addressable TV?
- All the ways you can target your marketing spend
- True addressability
- How to get Ad Tech Data on Instagram through demand-side platforms- DSP’s
If you haven’t heard about addressable TV, here’s what it is
- It’s cheaper
- More targeted
- Mobile-friendly, unlike traditional TV ads
- It works (if executed well)
Do you know how TV advertising works?
- Addressable TV lets you buy programs, not just programs.
- Usually targeted at a specific audience like gender or location.
- Typically reaches fragmented populations that can be hard to reach with other formats.
If you want to grow your business, you need to know about addressable TV
- It allows advertisers to be more targeted about their audience
- It allows for a closer relationship between brands and consumers
- It is targeting the $72 billion spent on TV ads annually in the US alone
- It uses TV analytics combined with social media data to find an audience ‘segment’ or target audience for advertisers
- Displaying ads based on demographics
Addressable TV, and how does it work?
- Addressable TV is only relevant if you have the right data. i.e., a lot of people from your audience are likely to be watching. e.g., football clubs,
- Addressable TV works with a solution called CAMPDOnes (meaning it applies to a range of TV providers)
- An advert is delivered based on an individual’s aggregate viewing habits
- It isn’t focused on what shows
Do you know what Addressable TV is?
- Addressable TV allows advertisers to target specific households
- The first step is a set-top box that connects all devices
- The second is targeted adverts for a specific household
- Then and only then can an advertiser know how effective their messaging was
- They can even create a runtime ad based on household info demographics
Have you heard of Addressable TV?
- Don’t tell us no, even if you’re a casual content creator
- Even if you sell to businesses rather than to end-users, your business is still advertising.
- If your company isn’t creating content, find someone who is – or create it yourself.
- If you’ve never uploaded a video to YouTube before, now’s a good time to learn how.
2/3 of households are only reachable through addressable TV
- It’s user-centric
- It’s content-centric
- It has a Wide Reach
- Addressable TV is now married with data and analytics
Addressable TV Advertising: An Opportunity For Innovation
As per the study, over 71% of the marketers buying the Addressable TV to gain substantial growth opportunities for sellers. They have seen the Addressable TV ad spending increase by over $3.3 billion by 2020.
Advertisers need to provide target-based advertising to grab the quick attention of potential customers. Traditional advertising is fairly based on legacy broadcast technology. Advertisers can only search and personalize their ads by limiting the vies to the particular regions by demographics and locations. Addressable TV ads can be highly personalized by browsing the audience’s behavior and activity that gives less importance.
Addressable TV sets are a path for the future
- It’s not just about reach. It’s about scale
- Over delivering on engagement and optimization
- And being able to scale direct response campaigns.
- Advertisers will finally get the data they need for optimization
- Addressable TV advertising is a massive opportunity for marketers.
Addressable TV ad spends expected to reach $1.03 billion by the end of 2022.
Advice for entrepreneurs:
- Figure out addressable TV budgets for actual real-life use cases
- Take advantage of the technology to help more customers convert
- Take the plunge to save your brand from being irrelevant
- Find a way to support addressable TV adoption without adding expenses to the bottom line
TV advertising is rapidly changing
- It’s becoming more targeted
- Advertisers are trying new things
- Digital media has had a big impact on TV ads
With Addressable TV Advertising, you’ll be able to beat your competitors and optimize your ROI
- Make the most of your budget
- Be more effective with your commercials
72% of all advertisers expect to increase their budgets on addressable TV and Video in the next 12 months
- Addressable TV is the future of advertising
- Marketers are concerned about anonymized data pools
- Addressing concerns with data security
- Companies with proprietary data have an advantage
- Large companies that leverage omnichannel strategies will succeed
Addressable TV advertising is coming sooner than you think
- Addressable TV advertising is a 527 billion opportunity
- It’s growing fast and expected to overtake online video ads by 2022
- No one knows what works yet (in terms of media buying)
Advertisers are ready for addressable TV advertising
- When marketers are more involved in the creative process, they can generate [more] resonant ads
- Addressable TV is growing at 23.2% a year
- There’s a 42% return for advertisers who use addressable TV ads.
- According to Hubspot, 64% of B2B marketers want the ability to measure ROI from all marketing efforts, including TV.
Can Addressable Advertising Fix TV’s Ad Breaks?
The Addressable TV advertising revenues can be fairly locked up by the linear TV, which fully transitions to OTT environments. Until and unless to forward lean experience for the controls for advertisers and consumers match those used in linear TV. When the digital landscape is created for the hyper-personalized, demographic targeting, click-based targeting to produce good results, it’s an exciting time for the brands who are more successful seeking and proud to be playing a part.
Can “addressability” fix TV’s ad breaks?
- We finally heard from the Nielsen X summit on addressable TV ads
- Addressable advertising can help keep viewers engaged
- Smart TVs let the viewer skip over ads
- 75% of viewers watch while multi-tasking
TV’s commercial breaks are broken
- If they wanted to, advertisers could have the option only to show ‘ads’ that are relevant for specific audiences
- This is called addressable advertising, and it’s the future of TV.
- Yes, you can reach 1 million targeted people, but the price to do so will be 100x more than if you want regular generic mass-market ads.
TV is dying because it can’t hook young adults
- Young adults hate ads
- Young adults hate IAP (in-app-purchases)
- Young adults hate ad breaks
- Addressable Advertising could solve all 3 problems
How Your Brand can benefit from Addressable TV Advertising?
Addressable TV combines the high-quality digital advertising and brand-safe scale of traditional TV broadcast with the measurement and targeted capabilities. Scalable TV reach, Brand awareness, Brand safety, and Precise targeting Digital Advertising are the significant benefits of Addressable TV advertising. Different platforms exist to empower broadcasters and advertisers to tap real-time TV advertisements into the conventional linear TV signal.
Wondering how your brand can benefit from Addressable TV Advertising?
- Increased Brand Awareness
- Improved offline sales
- Better Targeting for even more sales
- Access to sophisticated technology
- Increased ROI with advanced analytics
How can your brand benefit from addressable TV advertising?
- Save cost on ad spend
- Engage your audience better with precise targeting
- Strengthen your brand recall as you can be on TV longer and more often
- Measure ROI efficiently
Your businesses can benefit from Addressable TV Advertising
- Using addressable tv ads for brand awareness and loyally
- When to use Addressable TV in your business strategy
- Branded content for brands is a smart move for growing loyalty and brand perception
- You can empower and engage your customers using addressable tv advertising to show at the right time, thus creating a better loyalty growth
What is addressable TV advertising?
- It’s a sales tool
- Advertisers can appear before specific audiences
- It’s like a personal commercial for one person
- Better targeted leads, higher quality audience
Why Addressable TV it will work for you?
- You’ll finally be able to increase your engagement rate
- You’ll reach a younger, more engaged audience
- You’ll drive sales, not just engagement
- You’ll properly communicate your message (you can see how people respond)
The Secrets of Successful Addressable TV Advertising
Addressable TV allows the advertisers to shift from traditional targeting programs to the instead audience targeting. Targeted ads dynamically inserted at the households to convert IPTV delivery system and set-top boxes. In this OTT era, Traditional TV technologies are outdated and increased brand viewability.
These are the secrets of successful addressable TV advertisers
- They understand what works best on their channel
- They know which ad formats work best for them
- They consistently produce quality creative
- They focus on performance marketing and data science
- They know when and how to optimize their campaign
Here are some secrets that only Addressable TV advertising experts know
- Always remember to create a 30-second CPM video
- Use Hinge targeting
- Don’t use URL tracking
- Eradicate the bystander effect with multiple creative deliveries
- Think fast. Create segmented VPAID ads for every part of an episode
TV ads are expensive and hard to measure
- Addressable is the future of video marketing
- The biggest problems for the addressable TV market
- Some predictions for addressable TV in 2021
- Why this matters to you as an advertiser
If you have an eCommerce shop, you have to get your head around addressable TV advertising
- People are watching more videos on the TV, and your competitors are starting to use addressable TV right now
- It will boost your business and snowball it into something bigger
- Here is how it works and a case study from ASOS
The Secrets of Successful Addressable TV Advertising
- You need to track what is working and what isn’t
- Use the right creativity for the right audience
- Don’t overspend. Test budgets carefully, e.g., $10 per day
- Optimize towards a measurable result
- Design and test your creativity well
Paying extra to advertise on TV doesn’t increase your sales. But, you can improve your return with these 3 secrets to addressable TV advertising
- Map your ad campaign onto critical service dates
- Tie your ads into the TV shows viewers, love
- Use custom audiences to increase sales cards
- Finally, tie it back in the last 30 seconds of a show people are watching
A successful addressable TV campaign is about leveraging video and running it across multiple platforms. It’s no longer just on your television set
- Scale = > Audience of your finished ad
- Ad format = Persuasion + Click through
- Success metrics = view, watch to completion, completion rate, shares, comments, like (engagement).
Your addressable TV ads are going to suck
- Don’t use the same spot across multiple channels
- Addressable ads will have dual targeting options of household level and person level
- You need to target by geographic region, cable, and network over addressable
- OTT will only play a big part in your strategy later on down the road
This is why addressable TV advertising is the most powerful ad medium of all
- It integrates with your CRM, so you’ll be able to do segmented messaging to all customers who have ordered in the last 30 days
- It’s on every screen, except for Snapchat
- You can target by the audience (LifeStyle, Geography & Demographics) and by events (Date and Time)
How to leverage TV data to maximize the Addressable TV Advertising opportunity?
Taking advantage of addressable TV is essential for marketers to have a strong grasp of first-party data. Customer View is one of the powerful channels that customer identity solution to merge data create unique customer profiles from every channel. It gives advertisers and marketers a great tool to deliver the right message to the potential customer through addressable TV.
TV is dying; here’s how to leverage the Addressable TV Advertising opportunity
- Define your target audience
- Gather the data
- Create a marketing strategy
- Choose the right agency (partner)
- Influencer Marketing
With 43 million US homes connected to the Internet and TV, marketers can map their best audience segments across TV and digital
- Connecting a Customer ID across TV and Digital
- Targeting by age, gender, income
- Branded Audience Segmentation across Devices
- Overcome Digital Media #Ad Fatigue with better targeting
The Addressable TV is a $2B addressable market
- Start with a Live Television Viewership Map
- Create an Audience Plan for the Advertising Budget
- Use Strategies to Reach Your Audience on Addressable TV
- Measure your results in real-time
The Pross & Cons of Addressable TV Advertising
Just like other Industries, they introduced programmatic buying. Broadcasting OTT TV has massive growth in recent years and is guaranteed to receive more media dollars from advertisers and agencies. Most marketers use Advanced addressable TV as a promotional tool and are the only viable alternative to traditional TV advertising. Here are some of the Pros and Cons associated with programmatic TV.
The Pross of Addressable TV Advertising
- Understand how addressable TVs work
- Choose the right target customers
- Addressable TV advertising is cheaper than you might think
- Addressable TV has a large impact on brand recall
- Creativity is key in developing an ad campaign
- It’s an excellent opportunity for businesses with highly relevant goods and services
- It allows for precise targeting of your demographic
- It’s a more efficient use of budget
- Creates more impact in the consumer psyche
- It gives you access to bigger brand names
- Unlock demographics, geo-targeting, and device targeting capabilities
- Digital brings precision
- Reach audience while they’re engaged
- Understand how to take advantage of Addressable TV Advertising
- Make the most efficient use of your budgets
- Optimize the viewer’s experience across screens
- Create Lookalike Audiences for your TV advertising
- Test your creativity to find the best performers
- Increase the frequency of your ads by targeting returning viewers
- Addressable TV is now a necessity, not an extra
- TV should be the first screen
- Always have a digital strategy
- TV ads aren’t in the same place as they used to be
- It can allow for precision targeting
- It offers better measurability than other channels
The Cons of Addressable TV Advertising
- You have to partner with an addressable TV provider.
- It takes time to develop an addressable strategy and get your data in order.
- The technology can be confusing for staff and customers.
- The TV ad market is highly competitive.
- Not all of the content displayed via addressable TV is relevant and may be annoying to the customer.
- It is not addressable.
- Linear advertising cannot adapt to the audience.
- Data is increasingly more important, not less.
- Addressable TV requires long-term commitments from agencies and brands.
- Addressable TV has not attracted significant investments in measurement or analytics tools alongside it.
- It is an expensive medium.
- The targeting abilities are limited.
- There is less reach than traditional TV ads.
- Targeting may not work.
- Pricey for big brands
- Upfront commitments may be too high to get started.
- It may not make sense to invest in such a small audience.
- A small audience is hard to target
- Expensive media buy
- Targeting is restricted to specific age groups, genders, and socio-economic classes with little to no other way of knowing the target market.
- The ability to track the efficacy
- The decision-making process of what will happen if the ad fails
Addressable TV Advertising Trends
Addressable TV is one of the fantastic ways brands get in front of target audiences. This approach offers advertisers with more targeting capabilities and easy to calculate the ROI. Marketers can take Addressable TV as the future of advertising within specific TV segments, watched on-demand in the form of commercials. Local advertising, OTT advertising, Video on Demand, and Personalized ads are trending now. In the future, it will dominate TV broadcasting, however, as Addressable TV adds a new space that is quickly evolving. In contrast, the media industry has few advancements in TV and how they work to achieve their goals.
- 80% of TV Advertisers will use addressable TV ads in the next five years
- Location targeting will be a major trend.
- Reaching mobile users will be the top challenge for marketers.
- Smart advertising is all about insights.
- How to make your campaigns more relevant
- Pushing the envelope with addressable TV ads
- Advertisers are becoming more tactical.
- Increasing Ad Pressure
- The Scarcity Effect
- Innovative Content to include in Ads
- Operational Challenges and Solutions for Advertisers5. Unique Audiences
- Big Data Analytics and Real-Time Measurement
- Moving beyond demographic targeting
- Targeting by interest, context, and geography
- Programmatic buying addressable TV addresses discovery audience scale.
- Increase in the number of addressable TVs
- Improvements in the cloud TV solutions
- New standards addressing the issues of data management and analytics
- Proliferation of devices
- A rise in the adoption of addressable technology
- The increasing prominence of OTT services
- Measuring ROI for addressable TV becomes a priority.
- Focus on using other characteristics to understand whether or not an advertisement worked, instead of only tracking sales
- Advertisers seek more data from platform providers.
- Addressable TV advertising becomes more popular with traditional TV advertisers such as auto companies and packaged goods companies.
- Addressable TV will be used as a second screen while watching live sports events.
- Companies begin building their own “addressable.”
- Increased adoption of addressable TV advertising will drive up to 100 million addressable impressions in 2019
- Addressable TV is popular for brands who can afford high CPMs
- Addressable TV offers better ROI than digital marketing but is not suitable for every brand.
- Audience targeting
- Data-driven programmatic TV buying
- Local ads in local markets
- Dynamic Ads are still the future of addressable TV advertising.
- Addressable TV inventory is growing fast.
- Live and on-demand inventory will be open to addressable advertising.
- The transformation from linear TV into an advertising platform with OTT and TVE
- Appointment-based streaming services will embrace addressable advertising technology in homes as well as cars.
- Addressable TV programmatic advertising is still in the early adopter’s phase.
- Low interest rates have made addressable TV more affordable for advertisers.
- Start with a provider with robust tools.
- Measure results of TV advertising
- Stay focused on ROI.
- Addressable Makes Your TV Campaign Conversational
- Focus on the Dynamic
- Use Ambient Media
- IP Addressable
- Facebook, Data, and Personalization
- Measurement and ROI
- Addressable TV should be part of a larger campaign.
- Simply inserting ads into the delivery stream for better-tiered deals is not sufficient.
- Addressable TV will vary around sports and live events due to live ad insertion availability.
- Addressable TV – An opportunity for improved targeting and relevance
- Addressable TV – A big opportunity but an uncertain future
- Addressable TV – The practice has been around for years but is starting to pick up steam
- Advertisers are paying more attention to the changing audience behavior.
- The TV industry is waking up to the fact that ratings aren’t reflective of the audience’s behavior.
- Over-the-top (OTT) services are gaining momentum.
- Geolocation and addressable TV advertising are becoming synonymous.
- Time spent on programming by genre
- Addressable TV will allow TV content providers to deliver highly engaging and personalized content to engage viewers better.
- This has opened the door for advertisers delivering highly targeted advertising that matches the user and the video.
- Addressable TV devices will enable advertisers to deliver personalized ads tailored to specific locations, demographics, or interests.
- Advertisers have limitless targeting capabilities.
- AT&T is leading the way in integrating addressable TV into its current ad platform
- Targeted ad placement improves customer experience and loyalty.
- Smart TVs, set-top boxes, etc., are the future of addressable TV advertising.
- Digital brings scale and eliminates waste.
- Addressable TV is here to stay.
- General Marketers and Ad Agencies are learning about addressable television.
- Operators are piloting the technology.
- Customers would like to have more control over targeted ads.
- Data is the ultimate currency.
- Advertisers are looking for ways to reach target audiences more effectively.
- Addressable TV is still at an infant stage.
- Moving beyond the concept test
- Targeting the right audience
- Lack of verification tools
- Adding value to TV with addressable data services
- Reach more households
- Show households what they care about
- Provide more information on an ad’s reach
- Advanced addressable advertising software
- Better integration with search advertising and social media 10. Better measurement tools
- Smaller units make it easier to include in a traditional TV campaign.
- Address targeting allows for more precise sales of ads.
- Opportunity to target by category, channel, or placement
- Takes advantage of using the same technology used for online marketing
- Addressable TV Advertising is a new and growing market
- It has the potential to reach more households than traditional advertising platforms
- Advertisers can target specific demographics, as well as specific channels or shows
- The industry’s growth is being spurred by two key factors: 1) an increase in cable subscribers who have addressable set-top boxes 2) the adoption of digital video recorders (DVRs), which allow viewers to skip ads
- Addressable TV Advertising is a new and exciting way to reach your target audience
- It’s the future of advertising, as it allows for more personalized ads
- This type of advertising can be used to promote products or services that are relevant to specific consumers’ interests
- Addressable TV Advertising is a new form of television advertising that allows advertisers to target specific households
- It uses data collected from the home, such as age, gender, and income level, to show customized ads
- This type of targeted marketing can be used for both political campaigns and commercial brands
- The TV is the most popular screen in the home
- There are over 250 million television-connected screens in US households
- Over half of Americans watch more than four hours of TV a day, and that number has been increasing steadily for years
- Television advertising is very effective at reaching audiences with high attention spans, as well as those who are less engaged on other devices such as computers or smartphones
- Advertisers prefer to use addressable ads because they can deliver messages to specific audiences based on their interests and location
- Addressable TV Advertising is the future of advertising
- It’s a great way to reach consumers who are difficult to find through other mediums
- It has been used in political campaigns, and it can be a powerful tool for business owners too
- The addressable TV industry is forecasted to grow by more than $5 billion over the next five years
- Addressable TV advertising is growing in popularity
- The industry is expected to grow by 50% over the next five years
- It’s a way for advertisers to reach their target demographic more effectively and efficiently than traditional broadcast television advertising
- Connected TV advertising is growing exponentially
- Advertising on connected TVs has the potential to be more effective than traditional ads because it can target specific viewers and deliver relevant messages promptly
- The current state of research, however, does not provide conclusive evidence that the effectiveness of these ads will match that of online ads or other forms of television advertising
- Addressable TV ads are targeted at a specific group of people based on their demographics, interests, and behaviors
- Ads are delivered in real-time to the individual viewer’s screen through an IPTV network or set-top box
- Addressable TV advertising is the future of marketing
- The average American family watches television for four hours per day, which makes it a huge opportunity for advertisers
- Advertisers can target specific demographics and interests with addressable TV .
- The addressable TV market is expected to grow from $4 billion in 2018 to $8 billion by 2022
- Addressable TV advertising allows for a more personalized experience, with the ability to target specific demographics and geographic locations
- Marketers can use data on individual households that have been collected through digital devices such as computers, smartphones, tablets, and smart TVs
- Many marketers are already utilizing this new technology because it enables them to reach their desired demographic with an increased level of precision
- Addressable TV Advertising is a new and exciting medium with many benefits for advertisers
- It provides an opportunity to reach the right person at the right time in their home, which can be more efficient than digital advertising
- However, it also poses some risks for advertisers because of its lack of transparency
- Advertisers should use addressable TV advertising cautiously and responsibly
- Addressable TV Advertising is the future of advertising
- The addressable ad market has grown by over 100% in the last four years
- Addressable TV is a powerful new form of advertising
- It allows advertisers to target specific audiences on cable or satellite TV
- This makes ads more efficient and improves the effectiveness of campaigns
- There are over 200 million addressable TV sets
With further innovations in the advertising space, most advertisers can venture deeper into their consumers’ minds to get better outcomes. They are influencing the people going to get more efficient with the help of legal norms and regulations. It also develops further pace with the Addressable TV advertising pace. Advertisers should have a customer-centric and sensitive approach to words their loyal audience. This is the way the brands leverage TV data to maximize the Addressable TV Advertising opportunity.