People are watching video content for learning as well as for entertainment. The production of a high-quality video is very expensive and needs much effort to create and patience to edit.
The video creators put many efforts into making a video and publishing on video publishing platforms.
However, the videos are undergoing piracy in which people are posting those videos by just embedding them. It soiled the efforts made by the creators. So, it is imperative to have excellent protection on the video content which can prevent the copying of the content across the web.
By using the video content protection, creators can protect their branded content with the copyright marks and can protect their hard work and efforts in a better way.
Table of Contents
What is a Video Content Protection System?
A video content protection system is one of the standards of digital rights management which intends for the protection of the content and the related media online. This specification is designed for the protection of the video recordings and utilized with high-definition programming.
This specification promoted by the well-known company Philips. This video content protection system is classified into three main classes like an encryption key, disc key block, and so forth.
Let us have a look at Video content protection system across the web.
There are different ways to protect the video content and mainly divided into two in which the first way is to protect the content by itself using the digital rights management and the second one is to limit the access to the selected users.
The hidden stream URLs are one of the security methods in which the video players and website prevents the users to view the particular video by hiding the links to the various video streams.
The user needs to prove his access to watch or access the content from the creek. The users can verify their access and the other permissions in various contexts.
You can look into the content of the specific user who is viewing the video or check the location of the particular use basing on the specific IP addresses which are whitelisted.
The above choices can be available as a plug-in where content can be filtered with an appropriate mechanism.
Secure and safe
Another most common way of providing the secure gateway is authentication information using the security token. The security token is like a code which can be accessed at one time.
The online video platforms can secure your content using this one-time access codes for your video content.
The token that was received will send at a time basing on the level of the governing system that can withhold the access to the content.
The network level security for the content delivery
There is a downside of hiding the links to the content which didn’t offer any security protection on the hotlinking as the platform can directly connect to the stream URLs and the host well as can monetize the content.
Some video platforms utilize these methods for the protection of the video content like signed URLS, cookies and IP address basing on the content restrictions.
The signed URLS are the best access controls if it relies on URL control. If a user bought an exclusive video clipping, then they are not allowed to share and the player must need a particular URL mechanism to access the content.
The signed cookies are one of the options that are followed by the platforms to protect the content. The signed cookies are the best way to get access to the number of video streams that are limited to the particular path.
If the user has proved as a subscriber of that particular content was provided with access to an entire folder on the CDN. It will not provide any gained entry to the content. The user will not have any particular built-in support for the authorization.
The replaced authorization cookie that was placed on the computer can automatically send with a request that makes to CDN.
IP address based
Many platforms are also offering the IP-based a content restriction that enables the web distribution protection which is provided by many video platforms; Amazon cloud front is also one such type that works basing on the IP-based content restriction.
Other ways to protect your video content
You can protect your video content from the unauthorized distribution of your content across the web. Here are some best ways to protect your video content from the duplication and piracy.
By placing a logo or text on your video helps you to get identified your content with a particular mark but there are some advantages as well as disadvantages involved in it.
The advantage is, it is simple and didn’t require any specialized software for creation. It also provides better visibility to your brand or company and is hard to crop the video.
The disadvantage is it might disrupt the things and don’t provide nay physical protection to the content. All these come under visible watermarking.
There is also another method for protecting your content that is invisible watermarking. Companies tag the content with a fingerprint. It is stronger than the visible watermarking.
By using this method, you can tie to the particular user with disruption, but the main disadvantage is all about the creation and views and didn’t provide any physical protection.
The content protection plugins like flash and silver light are own by the digital rights management protection system. It helps in controlling the users and offer complete physical protection to your video content. However, it requires the plugins that might cause various problems to the users who have less knowledge on technology. It is also an expensive process.
HTML5 protection with the encrypted media extensions and streaming are some of the best ways to protect your video content in a better way.
Ways to do Video Content Protection
- Password Protect Video Classes
- Set Video Rights to Private
- Encrypt the Video Files
- Use Restriction Codecs (such as iTunes DRM)
- Data encryption
- Trusted server protection
- Video content protection
- Get permission
- Create transcripts about the video content and put them on a landing page
- Hide your video in another video
- Upload your video through a proxy
- Save the file on your hard drive several times
- Adding audio-only file
- Watermark video with logo
- Add metadata in the video file
- Use HTTPS
- Use passwords for your videos
- Provide captions to better how you want people to watch your videos
- Collect email addresses before publishing videos
- You can add password protection to any videos on WordPress
- You can use a plugin such as Video Keyword Shield
- You can opt to use third-party video content protection software
- Use captions
- Embed Video with a watermark
- Encrypt the videos
- Ensure videos are not hosted on a free platform like Youtube.
- 3rd party content protection for video content is a must for big brands.
- Content Protection from the concept development stage
- DMCA takedown notice
- Use a video watermarking tool
- Add screen casted buttons
- Use software to protect your video
- Use video captions and subtitles
- Secure your videos with passwords
- Watermark the video
- Licensing Content
- Keep the Content Unique
- Require a log in
- Add password protection
- Encrypt the video file
- Make it difficult to download your video
- Encrypt the file
- Make them embed the video instead of linking it
- Password protecting the video
- Encrypting the video
- Hiding the video content
- Protect Video Files with passwords
- Set your videos as private
- Protect your video links and track the number of clicks on them
- Don’t edit videos with fake preview
- Protect your copyrights
- Do not resell the video content
- Protect videos with passwords
- Put a watermark on the video
- Encrypt and Sign video on the server-side
- Use Google Analytics for tracking the original video
- Use image and audio recognition tools to track the original video
- Create a welcome video
- Distribute the video to subscribers and followers
- Keep your content in different locations
- Keep using different storage devices
- Encrypt your video files with passwords
- Use invisible watermarks on your video content
- Avoid linking unauthorized content to your channel or website
- Take control of your videos
- Timestamp every piece of content
- Work with a database company
- Don’t rely on watermarks
- Use frames and filters
- Analytics to track how customers use your videos
- The Easiest Way to Protect Video Content on Youtube
- Decide on what content you want to protect
- Use a watermark on videos
- Make the logo a similar color to your video background
- Pick a limited amount of videos to be put behind the watermark
- Use YouTube’s Content ID
- Encrypt your videos with WME Watermarks
- Use the time stamp
- Geo-fence the video
- Hire a copyright attorney
- Use content ID system for protection
- Make videos un-skippable
- Protect videos with a watermark
- Lock with passwords
- Add malicious code to the video
- Add audio copyright protection
- Use automatic copyright notification software
- Buy Video Copyrights
- Use Watermarking Technology
- Utilize The Takedown Process
- Encrypt with interstitials
- Keep your material contained
- Add DRM
- Use HLS
- Password protect your videos
- Encrypt and Hash your videos securely
- Remove sensitive information from the video
- Choose quality over timeliness
- Collaborate with social media
- Buy the right license
- Enforce a Creative Commons (CC) license
- Technically block pirated video content
- Embrace the new technology to fight piracy
- Use watermarking
- Always use a video license agreement
- Use some form of copy protection software
- Reference the art you have created when doing your own videos in other videos
- Keep metadata to a minimum
- Only use free licensed music and images
- Adding a password to video content
- Using AdBlock on your website
- Using social media with video content
- Video encryption
- Using Copyright Notices
- Using Stamps on the Video
- Adding Audio Notes to the Video
- Adding Numbers with Timestamp to the Video
- Embedding a Copyright notice into the video
- Publish creative commons license
- Encrypt your videos
- Use passwords and login systems
- Noncommercial use only
- Protect your videos
- Set up your YouTube channel the right way
- Content ID Tips to keep track of your content
- Encrypt the Video
- Encode the Video
- Add Restrictions
- GeoIP the Video
- Use Smartphone Protection
- Use SD Cards to save on phone storage
- Using Cloud Encryption to protect your content and data
- YouTube Producers can lock entire channel or individual videos
- Only allow certain devices to view the content
- Use a VPN for a secure Internet connection
- Use HTTPS on the server and in the video
- Add a non-skippable 30-second ad to the beginning of the video
- Use Gomadic products with your equipment so it won’t be stolen
- Use a non-identifiable name for your account or channel
- Create a unique public link that expires quickly
- Make sure your work is Copyrighted
- Edit to protect yourself
- Copy Privately
- Protect the Video
- Track who has your video
- Get a YouTube Account. Enable Content ID on your channel
- Use the right kind of video hosting platforms & network
- Add encryption to the links pointing to your videos
- Give permission to redirect & embed your videos online
- Upload with thumbnails that are too small
- Use audio tracks containing copyrighted material
- Upload videos on unsecured networks or devices like smartphones and tablets
- Block IP addresses
- Steal people’s ideas and content
- Add your own slant to it
- Change the pictures and video
- Trap them in their own legal rights (i.e., Copyright)