Journalism gradually evolved itself from the initial stages of reporting to newspapers. After the initial success of newspapers (offering a variety of news from different parts of the world through journalism), then came radio and TV. While radio offered an audio version of the news, the TV could penetrate more regarding offering the visual experience as well to the consumers.
With the advent of concepts like VR, 360-degree videos, content marketing there is a notable change in journalism as well. Many platforms are offering online (video) content and some of the notable names include Facebook, YouTube, Periscope etc. Another dimension is added to online be the feature of ‘interaction’. Viewers can interact through various ‘CTAs’ like share, like, subscribe in the new technology.
While there is no doubt that the live streaming being offered by many online platforms including Facebook are quite exciting technology, the same comes with certain disadvantages as well.
1. Live streaming facilitates easy connection by journalists to their audience. In the previous setup of journalism, there was a need for preparation, production, editing and finally publishing (telecasting etc.) of the content. With the live streaming, all these processes eliminated, and the journalist can live stream the content using his smartphone and minimum apps that he can install on his phone only.
2. With the availability of advanced methods of measuring the success or otherwise of the streaming, the journalist will be able to arrive conclusion regarding his content as well as improvements needed.
3. Now that the live streaming is becoming easy and cost effective also, there are numerous entrants in the form of journalists providing the required content for live streaming from throughout the world. live streaming gives the audience (registered users) an opportunity to get the latest and variety of news without much time delay.
4. At the same time, new entrants are posing stiff competition to existing journalists and thereby paving the way for competition between qualities vs quantity.
5. The live streaming is also coming with a feature to ‘view later’ option. This feature is quite useful for users who might miss the live stream of certain important incidents.
6. However, the live streaming is having its inbuilt deficiencies like lack of checks and balances. This could be a major disaster if the inappropriate and inaccurate news streamed and there happen any unwanted reactions. Though there may be corrections after some time but by that time, the damage might have already occurred.
Facebook live streaming is coming with many advanced features and advantages, but also with certain limitations/disadvantages. In view of the fact that the content has the lesser control that can be exercised, there have to be certain moralities to ensure appropriate/accurate streaming.