Over the Top, video entered the mainstream media in India. Market competition intensified with the entry of many popular brands and who is benefiting with this is the consumer as he now has a plethora of choices.
According to studies, the over the top market is still emerging though there is tremendous growth in smartphone penetration and the average internet speed has increased, which gave many opportunities for OTT providers. In the past two years, many OTT service providers emerged as the multi-screen video consumption grew at more than sixty-six percent.
The consumers for online video are in the age group of 15 to 34 years. The OTT paid video subscribers in India are more than one million now. New players are entering the Indian OTT market.There are dominated players like Yupp TV. Hotstar, Sony Liv and so on. Let us now know few details about the top players in OTT market in India.
This is an online video streaming platform. This is owned by Novi Digital Entertainment Private Limited belonging to Star India Private Limited. Subscribers can access more than fifty hours of television content and movies. Video content in different languages is offered by this platform. This is the most popular video destination of OTT consumers in India.
• Eros Now:
Eros Now is another popular OTT provider in India. It has more than one million active subscribers and by 2017, the company is expected to cross two million subscribers.
• Ditto TV (Zee):
Ditto television is another over the top video providers. This platform streams movies, news, live television and music. This can accessed on any web-enabled device. There are different subscription plans. The Ditto app television app can download toused on smartphones, tablets, laptops etc. Ditto Television is owned by Zee Digital Convergence Limited.
• Asianet Mobile TV is an OTT service provider in India. Asianet Satellite Communications Ltd owns this. The content offered can be accessed on multiple different platforms. This was the first MSO to launch Over the Top services in India. Different subscription packages are available.
• According to reports, YouTube is going to launch a paid subscription service, and it is likely to be called Unplugged. Unplugged will provide cable television channels on the internet. YouTube already introduced paid subscription service Red in 2015. YouTube said that they are going to provide more choices to their fans.
• We are aware that Netflix is the top video streaming service in the world. The content on Netflix can be accessed on various devices from smartphones to smart televisions. It can use with PlayStation, Apple TV and others. Netflix in India and it is likely to change the OTT scenario in the country.
• Amazon original video is an over the top video streaming service that is going to be launched soon in India. The launching date is yet to announced. Amazon is likely to combine the e-commerce with video streaming entertainment for great success.
• Balaji Telefilms are a television and film production studio of India. It has partnered with Xstream and Diana to power OTT entertainment service ALT. The content cane accessed various devices. ALT was announced in the year 2015 and develops on demand, exclusive content for the digital audience in the world.
• Reliance Jio is going to become the largest over the top service provider in India. Reliance Jio is offering many services such as the display, Jio Beats, Jio Security and Jio VoD. Reliance launched on-demand content consumption service including a live television. This is named the Jio on Demand. This is a one-stop destination for Indian movies television shows and music videos. the content is streamed in HD and can access on any device. There will be no ads, no buffering etc. Jio Cinema offers the content of Bollywood and Hollywood. Jio Cinema can be downloaded from Apple App Store and also from Google Play Store. The important features of Jio cinema are the resume watching, Watch List Feature, Auto Play TV series, Dock Player Function and Voice Search.
• Tata Sky Everywhere service allows streaming of television channels, and this is a free service. Everywhere TV was launched by Tata Sky in the year 2013. The service accessed via the official app.
• Yupp TV is the world’s largest online over the top provider. Make a single subscription, and you can watch any television channel anytime. In India Yupp TV content such as movies, Live TV, Catch-up TV and television shows can be accessed.
• Dish TV is the most trusted DTH brand in India, and Dish Online is the OTT service provider. This premium online video streaming service offers live channels movies and other content to its subscribers. Dish Online can be accessed anytime, anywhere on several devices such as mobiles, tablets, computers and other devices on which internet enabled. There are different subscription plans. This service, however, is available for subscribers of Dish TV.
• Hungama is streaming digital service in India and recently it signed SVOK licensing deal with BBC Worldwide. Hungama subscribers can now watch the BBC content such as Drama Prey, Dramedy Not Safe for Work and others.
• HOOQ TV is now available in India along with other countries such as Philippines, Thailand and Indonesia. Download the app to stream or download a large number of movie and television series. The content can access on laptops, tablets or phones. Watch the latest blockbuster movies of Hollywood or Bollywood. More than ten thousand movies and television series can access at HOOQ.
• Spuul app. allows streaming of favourite movies on the television screens. It can access on personal computers, tablets also. The movies can be downloaded to be watched offline on mobiles, and the subscribers need not pay any additional money for this. Another interesting feature is allowing resuming where you left off. Unlimited content can gain. There is a need to activate only one account for using it on multiple devices. Special offers can be made available all over the subscription period. The movies offered ad-free. The spool app can be downloaded on both Android and iOS devices.
• Sony LIV is the first VoD service from Sony Pictures Networks India Private Limited. It launched in the year 2013, and it provides access to movies, events like sports, television shows and music. The app is downloaded more than twenty million times till now, and this is popular as the original and exclusive premium content provider.
The OTT market is still likely to grow in the next couple of years as the network infrastructure is going to improve and more and more consumers are going to know about OTT. The game changes for this market are likely to be Reliance Jio and others. It is expected that at least thirty percent of the television households by 2020 will become OTT subscribers through their televisions.