It is a challenge for many to create a professionally looking online course as there is a lot of concern about technology issues. Staying focused will make creating a great online course in short space of time.The video should be the core output of an online course; this is because it is an excellent medium for learning.
There are two approaches to creating an online course – PowerPoint and Voice Over or filming yourself. PowerPoint approach works fine for classes that teach concept-based information. For teaching practical techniques, the second approach is most suitable.
To make the online courses exciting and efficient, these should keep very short so that people are engaged. Take care that each lesson is around twenty minutes only. The microphone should be of excellent quality, a decent camera and screen capture software.
Table of Contents
Creating video for online course
A video is being used extensively in online courses as it is more efficient and can engage the subscribers more. Creating video has never been comfortable with many tools available now.
eLearning videos are far made to work on different devices like smartphones, tablets, and computers. The video is believed to be very useful in learning.
There are over forty-six percent teachers who said they create at least one video for their online lessons. More than sixty-seven percent of online students prefer video-based lessons.
There are three methods to create online course videos.
Slides audio narration can be recorded quickly for PowerPoint or keynote presentations.
Press the Record slide slow button.
Then save the performance as a movie.
Have more images and less amount of written text.
Use good quality images.
The computer screen can record along with voice over in screencasting technique.
This method is suitable for step by step video tutorials, software, and technical training.
There are various screencasting tools available online. Some of these also offer editing capabilities.
Some favorite tools are Camtasia, Recordist, Jing, Screencast-o-Matic, and Screenflow.
Another unusual method to record a video for online courses is animation.
Using whiteboard style drawing in videos engages the learners.
There are built-in images, texts, and music.
However creating animated videos is time-consuming when compared to PowerPoint slides or screencasting, the result is worth the time spent. PowToon, GoAnimate, VideoScribe are some of the tools that can help in creating animated videos.
Video Creating Tools for Online Courses
Creating videos that help the audience to grasp what taught is essential for online courses. Let us here see that necessary tools required for creating compelling videos.
- Attractive and relevant images make the video look professional. There were times when typical stock photos used but now more, and more real subjects and topics included in stock photography. Death to Stock Photo, Unsplash, and other sous
- Recordings can be used for creating a video for online courses using stock photography. Free, paid and premium subscriptions are available to use the photos from these sites.
- For voice recording, which is very important for the video, use tools such as ScreenFlow or CamStudio?
- After completing creating videos, these need to upload to any video platform. Some of the popular video platforms are YouTube, Vimeo, etc. The videos can keep private so that the access given to only those who have the link.
- Let us now see what video equipment needed for creating high-quality videos. Those who are on a tight budget can use their phones to record videos. Use phones with HD video features. Use tripods to adjust the height. If you can afford, go for some HD cameras that will help in creating professional looking high-quality videos. Having great lighting is essential. Choose the places where there is a lot of natural light or; you can also invest in some lighting equipment.
- Video editing is another critical step to create videos like a pro. There is different video editing software available that help in making the videos crisp.
- A high-quality microphone is another vital tool to create videos for online courses. A good quality voice can make a lot of difference to the video. The sound should be as transparent as possible so that the students pay attention to it. Do not use the built-in microphone on the computer or the smartphone. Inexpensive but good quality microphones are available in the market. Choose the one that best suits the needs.
Tips and Best Practices for creating Video for Online Courses
Here are few tips for creating engaging and compelling videos for online courses.
- Keep the videos short to hold the interest of the audience.
- Make the videos accessible to the students in more than one place.
- Make it easy for them to download the videos for viewing later.
- The more available the videos are, the more the students will watch it.
- Make the videos of online courses interactive. This helps in keeping the audience engaged.
- Use combinations of slides, animations and talking heads in the videos to make them more attractive.
- Do not add many special effects as this is an online course video. Find another way to keep them engaged.
- They should be allowed to focus on what is said. When adding text, give enough time for them to read it.
Those who are planning to start an online Tutorials this is an ultimate Guide. Follow the above tips to create the best videos for your online courses.