Table of Contents
What is a CDN?
CDN is the primary term that known as a Content Delivery Network. They are used mostly in delivering the content to various destinations like web browsers, smart devices that are connected to the network and they are cost effective and widely used in content delivery and distribution.
What is a Video CDN?
Video CDN is nothing but a content distribution network which has different servers to deliver the high-quality live videos to the devices that are connected to the web. They have the capability of providing the video streaming which can accelerate the delivery system through caching.
The system stores the content across multiple servers to the users’ location for delivering the video. The general size of the video CDN differentiated with the provider of the content, content size and the customers served.
Categories of CDN
Basing on the purpose, the CDN’s are distinguished into three different types. Some CDN’s are used to deliver the general content and some for On-Demand content and live video content. These three types of CDNs are employed in the content delivery system. There are some differences between these CDNs that are utilized for different purposes.
Let us discuss the differences and similarities of these CDNs in detail.
CDN’s for General purpose
• Content delivery networks are already developed before the video. You may utilize these CDN networks while downloading the software updates and visiting a website.
• The general purpose CDN’s commonly calls as web accelerators. The web can be accelerated if it has good CDN which consists of a number of servers across different locations which has high connection points with the internet service providers as well as with the traditional websites or other vendors.
• The content delivery network caches and stores the content frequently on the request of a huge number of internet users online.
• To understand the acceleration of the web, you must know about the various terms that are use in the marketing ecosystem.
• Whenever the particular content as requested many times by the user, the service provider will cache the content and make a point of presence in which any request for the content will not go visits high lines of network and is served up by the service providers own cache data.
• Today, web accelerations are very complex and according to the surveys, US is providing the internet to 23percent of its population, and the content delivery networks were accelerating the web and cache the content to many locations.
On-demand video CDN’s
• Some of the general purpose CDN’s are providing the various services for the video content on demand. It may be a large video file or a big application download; the server content will not differ than other.
• The streaming servers deliver the content during the request and can provide only bits other than the entire length of the video clippings. It is very helpful for the content owners paying for the delivery by CDN.
• CDNs did not need any particular investment for the hardware and the server streaming software. It just limits the number of bits to be delivered to the viewers.
• The first thing is the direct download in which the video clip is to be downloaded to the viewer’s system before audience views it.
• Viewers used to wait for the download and the installation process if the content was like 1GB in size. Of course, we do not want to wait as it might take some thirty minutes to get complete that process.
• Another important thing is the progressive downloads, in this option, the users can utilize the numerous video sites like YouTube.
• CDN delivers the download and viewers can begin watching the content within the first five seconds of time without any waiting for the content to download.
• The content can be downloaded with ease before you complete the video watching.
• One of the most interesting things to CDN is adaptive bitrates which can convert the video streams into chunks and fragments within two to ten seconds of length.
• The adaptive bitrates can create different streams across various bitrates and utilize the feedback from the users and detect the optimum speed of the particular network.
• There are massive solutions and befits of using the adaptive bitrates in a fair manner.
Live Video CDN
• With the new Adaptive bit rates and HTTP streaming, still there is need to deliver the live video content it cannot be able to cache like other content which we discuss above.
• As the live video cannot be cache, it is imperative to have a modified CDN infrastructure with a good bandwidth piping between the end user viewing as well as central location.
• The bandwidth delivery costs might increase for every viewer who is viewing the video simultaneously. Building and as well as maintaining millions of viewers in live streaming is the very expensive procedure.
Why CDN’s are necessary?
Knowing about CDNs is vital, whether you are a consumer, publisher or service provider. If you are a customer, you can understand the working of transmission systems. Of course, it is effortless to watch the content across multiple devices at any time, and consumers can know the potential benefits and CDN can support them to distribute the video clips and other content in a better way.
When comes to the service providers, they must update with the current trends that are happening across the web. They must follow the modern CDNs and HTTP-based video delivery systems. Converging the things at CDN is paramount.
For content owners, they can understand the different CDNs and other services that are beneficial to them while presenting the premium content differently. Content owners must also need to follow the content delivery trends and other cost-effective strategies related to the monetisation. Hence it is essential to know in detail to have a clear understanding on CDNs.