Virtual reality in advertising in the new medium that gives an opportunity for the brands to tell a story and lead the viewers inside VR ad environment. Virtual Reality is a significant opportunity for the advertisers who understand how to harness it. VR ad designing is challenging. This technology is still in the growing stage and may take a little bit of time to reach the masses.
Table of Contents
Introduction to Virtual Reality Advertising
Virtual Reality or VR is an innovation in the interaction of human and computers. It is going to change how the people will experience the digital world in future with the help of light devices and mobile technology advancement. After Facebook invested in Oculus – Google, Sony, Samsung and others also invested in this technology. Viewers experience virtual Reality with a head-mounted display, and the ads created in virtual reality make the viewers complete immerse in what they watch. As the viewer moves his head, the movements also tracked, and the display is adjusted as per the movement.
Virtual Reality Advertising Platforms
Advertising platforms for virtual reality are evolving. Here are few advertising platforms.
• VirtualSky helps create immersive VR ads to consumers using headsets and smartphones. This also offers analytics for the ads.
• Immersv VR is a mobile VR Ad network and VR developer. It also tracks the view through rates of the VR ads.
• Retinad, another VR ad platform provides the advertisers with analytics of purchase behavior, browsing and other analytics. They create ads in banner 360 videos, image carousel and others.
• Vertebrae use heatmaps to track the VR ad analytics.
Virtual Reality Advertising Campaigns
VR ads allow the user to feel the product or service and give them an immersive and interactive experience. Brands understand the power of VR to engage the users on a different level. Nescafe is the first coffee brand to provide virtual reality experience by taking them to Brazil coffee fields. Honda created VR ad for its NM4 Vultus motorbike promotion. The campaign was immersive, targeted, engaging and innovative. Samsung Electronics also into VR and launched VR storytelling app called VR stories. McDonald Sweden made their happy meal boxes into virtual reality devices so that kids can experience VR reality.
Best Practices for Virtual Reality Advertising
This is now the now and bold age for storytelling. Virtual reality technology is a big and new canvas available for advertisers to teleport the viewers to the new world. To ensure engagement, user immersion and balance of curation, few best practices need to be followed by VR advertisers.
• Immersive digital experience stimulates the emotions of the use. Advertisers and brands must create a compelling emotional journey for the user.
• While designing VR experiences, it is necessary to create a realistic environment. Thus use suitable audio to the VR videos make it more interesting. Audio helps in creating a more convicting world and to enhance emotional tone.
• Ensure mobile VR experience for the users by giving them the option to stare for a long time in one direction.
• To make realistic VR ads, use the 360-degree videos and 3D apart from still photography.
• Focus on the story you are telling.
• Research, planning, storyboarding, testing and iterating are required to create great VR experience.
Virtual reality is now not the technology used by just gamers but it captured the imagination of one and all including the ad agencies. The application is, however, difficult for some industries. The technology is here to stay and is expected to be bigger than mobile in the coming few years.