Videos engage more audience that text and adding videos to the website can help get new visitors. Most people use online video platforms to host their videos from where the audience directed to the website. This way, the traffic is for the video platforms but not to the site. Many publishers choose to host their videos on their own websites.
Brands of businesses can either upload the videos to deliver their messages to the potential customers on their website or sharing platforms. There are advantages and disadvantages of hosting videos on online sharing platforms or own site. But before taking this decision, it is essential to know them all.
Pros of hosting videos on own website
• The publisher will have control over the videos and the copyright over the videos is preserved by them. There is no risk of someone banning or deleting the videos.
• The videos that are hosted on the own website is difficult to download.
• Google allows incorporating the tracking and analytical tool for the videos.
• When videos are hosted on one’s own website, all the traffic belongs to the videos or the website.
• It is possible to design the videos in any way, they like.
• Having a suitable web player on the website can create a unique style for the website.
Cons of hosting videos on own website
• The process of uploading videos on the website is complicated compared to uploading videos on online sharing platforms such as YouTube.
• When the videos need to host on an own website, the producers have to pay for it. But some video platforms like YouTube do not charge anything. The benefits of using the own website for hosting videos and using some online video platform needs to weighed.
• Using online video platforms such as YouTube for hosting videos is simple but to host them on the website, some coding skills are required based on the video software.
• When the videos hosted on an own website, the viewers would be limited unlike on YouTube where they appear in search results also.
• The control of producers of videos is limited when they host them on other online video platforms.
• There are changes such as YouTube suspending of removing the videos if they receive any complaints.
• Thus the producers need to be very careful and create videos following the rules and regulations of the video sharing platforms.
• Nowadays, it is easy to download videos from the internet using some ripping software from video sharing platforms.
• Video sharing platforms like YouTube place videos to get profit and some audience may find them interrupting and lose interest to watch them and this may result in losing viewers.
• When videos are hosted on an own website, there will be no revenue from ads.
• With self-hosting on the website, the video playback is going to be very slow. If most people try watching the video at the same time, it may load slow which can irritate the audience.
• All technical issues related to the video are to be fixed by the website owner.
• The amount of exposure that the producer gets for the videos hosted on the own website is limited.
Videos attract new visitors to the website and this increases traffic. There are many opportunities to get maximum benefit from videos. Thus when using video content, it is important to think about the better delivering method. Each option has different benefits. Figure out what suits best for you.