People who watch online videos might have come across JW Player. While choosing the video platform, people look for platforms that are feature rich. JW player, apart from having many interesting features, offers hosting solution, seamless integration and analytics. Let us know about this popular video player.
1. JW company is based in New York
2. It was launched by Jeroen Wijering JW in 2005.
3. JW Player was merged with New York City Digital ad agency LonTail Video.
4. JW Player is most popular and can be seen on more than two million websites.
5. JW player is also used to view videos on desktops, tablets and phones.
6. It also offers hosting, streaming and video advertising services.
7. API implementations of JW Player help to customize and to easily integrate.
8. The player supports monetization technologies such as VPAID 2.0, Google IMA etc.
9. JW Player is also a Google Certified Publishing Partner.
10. JW Player is also offering live stream and it can reach viewers on various devices.
11. JW Player was the most popular HTML5/Flash media player for websites.
12. This player is said to be the best for those who want high quality fully functional video player on their website.
13. JW Player also has email, Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest built in sharing functionality.
14. This platform playlist RSS feed is not compatible with iTune video podcasting submission parameters.
15. It is responsive HTML5
16. Playlist functionality and players can be customized as per user specifications.
17. Upload video to JW platform and the user can get multiple options for selecting thumbnail of the video.
18. It is said that the technical support is very slow.
19. Those who want to maintain JW player plug in on their website must have basic knowledge of HTML programming.
20. JW Player as a HTML5 player delivers good viewing experience.
21. JW Player can be used to upload and mange video content, create video players, publish content on platform and increase video engagement.
22. JW Player used HTML5 and Flash playback technologies.
23. Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 9+, MS Edge and Safari are supported by JW Player on desktop.
24. All features of JW Player are supported by these browsers.
25. Safari on iPhone, Safari on iPad and Chrome on Android are the mobile browsers officially supported by JW Player.
26. JW Player with HTML5 is supported on these mobile browsers.
27. On mobile devices it is not possible to auto start video on loading of the page using JW Player.
28. Changing volume and mute state is also not possible on mobiles.
29. On iPhones video with JW Player is played in only full screen mode.
30. Windowed and full screen modes are supported on iPad and Android devices.
31. The formats supported by JW Player with HTML5 and Flash are MP4, AAC, MP3 and HLS.
32. WebM and Vorbis formats can be played in HTMLS5 on limited numbers of browsers.
33. JW Player is available with three pricing options and these are free, premium and platinum.
34. The free option includes HTML5 video player, Android and iOS mobile SDKs and apple TV showcase apps.
35. For free users, 25GB streaming per month and 10 k video plays for month are offered.
36. Premium option is available for $299 per year.
37. Premium option features include adaptive streaming, multi-bitrates HD encoding and Airplay and chromecast.
38. 25GB streaming and 100 k video plays are offered in Premium option.
39. JW Player Platinum option is available for $999 per year.
40. The features include HTML5 and mobile ad insertion, certified Google IMA integration, advanced Ad scheduling etc.
41. Premium option offers the users 500GB streaming and 200k video plays per month.
42. JW Player can be used to maximize video ad revenue from mobile, OTT platforms and other devices.
43. JW Player works with most of the networks, ad servers.
44. JW Player 6 supports 6 media formats and three audio file types and also YouTube videos.
45. JW Player 7.2 was launched a couple of years ago with new features.
46. This comes with improved social sharing.
47. It is possible to build with JW player and for this there is need to have a JW Player account.
48. With JW Player account, it is possible to access JW Platform, Player and Android and iOS SDKs.
49. Non commercial users can use JW Player for free.
50. Setting up JW Player is easy. Create account in official account, download, unzip and upload to webserver. Include script in the web page.
JW Player supports various media formats so that the videos you are playing can be streamed on desktop, smartphones and tablets. It also allows hosting own videos and offers analytics and other features. Another attraction is the support for HTML5.
Table of Contents
Using JW Player and Amazon CloudFront to Stream HLS Video
HLS adaptive streaming can be carried by using the JW player and the CloudFront. The first thing you have to do is to get an account in both Amazon web services as well as the premium license from the JW player. The HTTP live streaming is a protocol which is very helpful and can be utilized for the video streaming using the web server online. It generally supports the live streaming and the on-demand streaming. It also automates the adapt stream quality to the device and the networking conditions. The protocol generally works with the live streaming the was separated before the delivering in the short files. The segments can be stored on a web server that is standard and can be requested individually by the video player.Use of JW Player and Amazon CloudFront to Stream HLS Video has been explained here.
JW player supports the HTTP live streaming across the iPhone and iOS built devices and also supports the HLS playback for the different browsers. It also allows the JW player that deploys the HLS single streaming format across the devices. The HLS streaming or HTTP live streaming has an advantage over the RTMP streaming as it can incorporate the firewall and the proxy servers that pay mostly on the mobile devices and the desktops. The RTMP streaming will not work on the mobile devices and the desktops.
HLS streaming with Amazon CloudFront
The HLS streaming with the JW player is really a combo that covers the various platforms. Here are some steps that involved in the HLS streaming using the Amazon CloudFront and JW player.
• Buckets setup and the pipeline setup :-
there is a need to create three buckets in which one bucket contain the video to process the other for the video output and the last bucket is for previewing the images and can be considered as an optional. After the selection go with some technical details and upload the video. Use the electric transcoder for conversions and create a pipeline and create the new job by clicking on the concerned buttons. Click on to the add permission button to make files public in the output bucket.
• Transcoding job and creation of preview thumbs: –
create new transcribing job and fill the output details. Select segment file name preview and setup with details to preview the thumbnail with good resolution.
• Creating the various distributions:-
create different distributions by setting the buckets to the public and can add the permission button to add more distributions
• Adding to cross domain XML:-
It is the permission for the access to the content and it is the website domain. It is used to test the HLS adaptive streaming and click on the properties tab that is present at top right corner and then clicks permissions link and saves the settings.